Search This Blog

Monday, April 12, 2010

Thoughts From the First Week

Seven days, six games and a ton of bad bullpen innings behind us, the Marlins stand at 4-2, winners of both series to start the year. As an historical footnote, this is the third time in franchise history the Marlins have had an opening series against the Dodgers, and the first time they've won the series ('93 and '95 being the other two).

Here are some stream of consciousness thoughts from the first week:

The bullpen is awful. Far worse than I thought, and I wasn't a fan to begin with. At least they are showing their shortcomings now, rather than August, so the team can go shop for upgrades (yes, I snickered when I wrote that as I'm sure you did when you read it).

Pitching usually comes in ahead of the hitting, so it is somewhat encouraging that our offense and our rotation are both looking strong. Volstad pitched well on Friday, ditto Anibal on Sunday; crazy to think the worst showing so far has been from JJ, and he'll turn it around, the illness in the spring is likely playing a role in the slow start.

I'm glad the out of town scoreboard is back in some capacity. I miss the teal tower, but Friday and Saturday were tough with the odd "ring" scoreboard. Now the upperdeck facade serves a greater purpose than reminding us the Dolphins' glory days are well behind them.

No comments:

Post a Comment